Posts for tag: GERD; Snacks
When your stomach is growling so loudly that the person across the room can hear it, it’s tempting to grab a handful of chips or a cookie (or three). But if you have GERD, mindless snacking can have painful consequences. Be prepared for when the hunger pangs hit by adding these reflux-busting snacks to your grocery list.
- Non-citrus fruits
- Crackers with any type of nut butter
- Raw vegetables with dip or hummus
- Baked chips
- Half an avocado and some corn chips
- Baked chicken strips (or any small quantity of lean meat, besides red meat)
- Oatmeal or high-fiber cereal
- A baked potato, sweet potato, or yam
- Any type of grain
- Rice cakes
- Granola bars
- Half a bagel
- Lowfat dairy, such as lowfat cottage cheese with vegetables or crackers or fruit
- A hard-boiled egg
- A veggie or fruit (non-citrus) smoothie
Moderation is key
Even when you choose healthy snacks, too much of a good thing is, well, not good at all – especially when you have GERD. Limit your nibbles to small serving sizes, which will keep both your hunger and reflux under control. Experts recommend that you eat three small meals and two snacks daily.
Plan ahead and keep reflux-friendly foods within easy reach for when the hunger pangs hit. Board-certified gastroenterologists at GI Associates can help you manage GERD symptoms and create a diet plan that works best for you. For more information, call (877) 442-7762 or fill out our online form today.