Posts for: May, 2019
Top tips to know this summer
Hydration is always important. Not having enough fluids in your body can lead to headaches, poor digestion, and fatigue, no matter what time of year it is.
Stay on top of your hydration this summer with these simple tips.
Always Have Water at the Ready: Whether you’re outside, inside, at the office, at the park or anywhere at all, it’s essential to have water readily available. We lose water every day by breathing, sweating, and going to the bathroom. It’s important to replace these fluids, especially in summer. In fact, the digestive system relies on fluids to function well. Be sure to have plenty of water before, during, and after meals.
Ways to do it:
- Keep a reusable water bottle with you at all times and take sips throughout the day
- Plan water breaks every twenty minutes to an hour when you’re outside
- Set a timer on your phone to remind you to take a drink
Choose High-Water Content Foods: Not only do foods with high water content tend to be good for you (they’re low in calories and often high in fiber), they also keep you hydrated. Strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, spinach, and green peppers are all high in water. Refresh this summer with these foods and your digestion will thank you.
Avoid Excessive Heat: Get out of the heat and avoid a lot of potential problems this summer. Protect yourself and your family from the dangerous impact heat can have with the following techniques:
- Always cover up with lightweight, light color clothing
- Stay inside from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., when the sun is at peak intensity
- Drink water and sports drinks
- Use cold compresses to cool off
It’s important to stay vigilant against dehydration, particularly in the summer. Be smart and be careful to keep your summer running smoothly, inside and out.
Dealing with a digestive health concern? Make an appointment with GI Associates today by calling 877-442-7762.